rules & regulations
- Recommendations must be a minimum of $25.
- Total annual pledge to United Way of Rhode Island must be a minimum of $1,000.
- Spouses who work for different employers and both contribute to the annual United Way Campaign can combine their gifts as long as gift equals or is greater than $1,000. The total annual pledge may be a combination of pledges from two individuals (spouses/partners).
- UWRI will not accept recommendations if such recommendations represent a fee for services, i.e., purchase of tickets to a charitable event, school tuition or scholarships sent directly to individuals, dues, membership fees, goods bought at charitable auctions, fees to play golf in a tournament or other consideration (per IRS regulations).
- Recommendations may be made to any qualifying nonprofit organizations which are tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. UWRI may verify that the charitable organization is a qualified 501(c)(3) according to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). These are organizations described in IRC section 501(c)(3) to which contributions are tax deductible and that qualify as public charities within IRC section 170(B)(1)(A).
- MyFund contributions are not refundable. Any funds not disbursed by December 31 will be directed to United Way of Rhode Island’s Community Impact Fund.
- Access to an account may be shared with a partner, child over 13, or administrative assistant.
- A Donor Advised Form must be signed to comply with the IRS rules and regulations regarding donor advised funds. A copy of the Donor Advised Form is attached.
- UWRI generally processes donor gift recommendations within 7-10 business days.
- For pledges paid via payroll deduction, donor funds to MyFund will be credited on January 1st at the earliest (example: donor makes a pledge commitment to UWRI in November 2016 and is planning to honor that pledge via payroll deduction starting the following calendar year – January 2017).
- Distributions may not be used for political contributions or to support political campaign activities.
- UWRI generally makes distributions to the donor’s recommended organization, and in such cases UWRI may make checks payable to the recipient organization’s legal name, which may be different from the common use name, and will mail each check to the organization’s official address.
- Records from MyFund cannot be used for tax purposes. Donors who pay their pledge with check, credit card or securities will receive a tax receipt in the mail from United Way in January of the new year. Payroll deduction donors may use their last paystub of the tax year and W-2 from their employer.
Start your MyFund account with a minimum gift of $1000.00